[dehai-news] PressTv: Brundi, Uganda to discuss Somali pullout

From: Berhane Habtemariam (Berhane.Habtemariam@gmx.de)
Date: Sun Nov 30 2008 - 14:03:08 EST

Brundi, Uganda to discuss Somali pullout=20
Sun, 30 Nov 2008 13:09:13 GMT=20

      =20
      Burundi soldiers deployed in volatile Somalia=20
Burundi's defense minister says his country will not pull troops from an =
AU peacekeeping mission in Somalia before consulting with Uganda.=20

"We are going to meet with Uganda this week to study the situation in =
Somalia. Wait for that time to ask me the question about whether or not =
we will withdraw our troops from Somalia," Burundian Defense Minister =
Germain Nikyoyankana said on Saturday, AFP reported.=20

Burundi has deployed some 1,700 troops in Somalia as part of an African =
Union peacekeeping mission to stabilize the chaotic Horn of Africa =
nation. The latest deployment takes the total number of Burundian =
soldiers in the country to 3,400.=20

      Ugandan troops in Somalia=20
Uganda first sent 1,500 soldiers in March 2007, and another 250 later =
that year to Somalia where frequent attacks contribute to the obstacles =
the government faces in its bid to stabilize the country in which =
anarchy has prevail ed since dictator Mohamed Siad Barre's 1991 ouster.=20