[dehai-news] Eritrea's national soccer teams and their challenges/http://eri-internationalsports.blogspot.com

From: michael seium (michael.seium@gmail.com)
Date: Mon Dec 01 2008 - 03:53:51 EST

Eritrea's national soccer teams and their challenges.

 I have been one of the strongest advocates of the Eritrean national soccer
teams at all levels and I sometimes tend to be a little bit ahead of myself
with expectations that our soccer teams will advance and make it to an
African or International tournament event. It is with this in mind that I
write this blog to get moral support and material support for the national
teams back home. If we see the short history of Eritrea in the international
stage it is not so bad considering that we have already made it to the under
17 African nations cup as well as many games where we have surprised tough
opponents such as Nigeria, Cameroon, and Egypt by playing tough games.

It is very clear that the obstacles to Eritrea's success seem to be
countries in Africa that have far exceeded their potential and have become
not only African power houses but internationally recognized teams. Eritrea
can take a short cut and capitalize by working hard and strategizing on how
best to beat the teams that have been very challenging to it the
international power houses who take the growth of the game in their
respective countries very seriously.
A soccer academy is well needed to nurture the many great talents that come
out of Eritrea. I also strongly believe that any Eritrean national be it in
the diaspora or from within the nation should be given a mechanism to be
able to try out for the national team. As a matter of fact a foreign office
that can accommodate that within the Eritrean sports/Soccer federation
should be created. I personally believe that some players from Team Norway
this past year at the Eritrean sports festival in North America as well as
many others including players who play in different universities and
colleges as well as from other parts of the world should be worthy of
looking at. First it makes the competition better and the players who truly
are skilled will be able to prove their ability.

In any case I would like to say to the leadership of the Eritrean soccer
federation in Asmara that I salute you for doing a great job despite all
obstacles. The fact that the under 17 are getting more attention clearly
indicates that Eritrea is headed in the right direction. Like everything
else in the nation it is best to start from down and progress. I also would
like to share that the office of his excellency President Issias Afwerki has
initiated a SPORTAW MEKETE by appointing National Sports Board comprising
ministers and senior government officials that would strive to introduce a
popular sport system with the active participation of the public. "The Board
would streamline a new organizational structure for greater work performance
and mission through studying and revising the hitherto existing
organizational system and structure regarding sports in the nation."

The fact that Eritrea now has players playing overseas even though it may be
in such nations as Yemen, Uganda and other middle eastern nations, it is
still a big plus in the big picture. As regional partnerships are becoming
the way to success for African nations with the exception of those who want
to stay behind, the 2009 version of CECAFA tournament coming up at the end
of this month from Uganda, can be a litmus test for our young Red Sea boys
being inter mixed with the older players to get some experience and in the
process also help win a championship for Eritrea. The Camels as they are
known will first play Djibouti, and my feeling is that it will be a good
game between the two brotherly people of the horn. Here below is the
schedule for the 2009 CECAFA tournament and start date is the end of
December.

31.12.2008
CECAFA Cup 2008 - 1. Round

Eritrea-Djibouti
Jinja - Bugembe Stadium
Sudan-Kenya
Jinja - Bugembe Stadium

JANUARY 2009
01.01.2009
CECAFA Cup 2008 - 1. Round

Uganda-Rwanda
Kampala - Namboole Nelson Mandela Stadium

Zanzibar-Somalia
Kampala - Namboole Nelson Mandela Stadium

02.01.2009
CECAFA Cup 2008 - 1. Round

Burundi-Djibouti
TBD

Eritrea-Kenya
TBD

03.01.2009
CECAFA Cup 2008 - 1. Round

Somalia-Tanzania
Kampala - Nakivubo Stadium

Uganda-Zanzibar
Kampala - Nakivubo Stadium
As always good luck goes to our Senior team and with Elias Debessay playing
his professional career in Uganda, we hope that Eritrea will be able to get
some local support from his fans.

Mike Seium
 http://eri-internationalsports.blogspot.com