[dehai-news] (AFP) US concerned about terror safe haven in Somalia, Yemen

From: Biniam Tekle (biniamt@dehai.org)
Date: Wed Dec 10 2008 - 15:35:03 EST

US concerned about terror safe haven in Somalia, Yemen

Dec 10, 2008

WASHINGTON (AFP) The US chairman of the joint chiefs Admiral Michael
Mullen said Wednesday he was "extremely worried" about the potential for
safe haven for terrorists in Somalia and Yemen.

"A significant objective in Afghanistan and Pakistan is to not have a safe
haven, and I am concerned about the potential for a safe haven in Somalia as
I am in Yemen," Mullen said. "I am extremely concerned about that."

Asked if Ethiopia pulling its troops out of Somalia soon presented a greater
risk, and what the United States would do, Mullen said that was not his
call.

"It wouldn't be the US military, quite frankly (deciding). It would be, what
would be the policy be of the United States of America and other countries?
And there are lots of options there," Mullen stressed.

"What I certainly want to do, though, is express actually the same concern
... and I have that, pay a lot of attention to it, and I think we need to be
mindful of where it could go in future," Mullen added.