[dehai-news] (NV) Zambia fills up Eritrea slot in CECAFA event

From: Biniam Haile \(SWE\) (eritrea.lave@comhem.se)
Date: Thu Jul 14 2005 - 15:46:48 EDT

Zambia fills up Eritrea slot in CECAFA event

Wednesday, 17th December, 2008

By Norman Katende
and Swalley Kenyi

ZAMBIA has replaced Eritrea in the regional CECAFA Senior Challenge Cup
due to start December 31 in Uganda.

Local organising committee secretary Moses Magogo yesterday said that
Zambia, five times finalists at the same tournament, including winning
the trophy in 1991 at Nakivubo before shifting to COSAFA, have accepted
to come as a guest team.

"That is the information we have got from the CECAFA secretariat. We do
not know other details and we prefer to keep that until secretary
general (Nicholas Musonye) comes in the country later this week," said
Magogo while addressing the press at the PostBank/FUFA weekly press
conference at Mengo yesterday.

Eritrea pulled out due to administrative wrangles in the home
federation. Zambia will play in Group B, which has its preliminary
matches at Bugembe stadium.

Meanwhile the local organising committee has identified 11 grounds and
six hotels to offer training and accommodation to the teams for the
two-week event.

Wankulukuku, Luzira, Lugogo, Kyambogo, Makerere and Namboole for the
teams to be based in Kampala, while Kakindu, Jinja SS, Jinja College,
St. Jude and Dam Waters will provide grounds for the Jinja-based teams.

UGANDA has substantially progressed in the FIFA World rankings without
necessarily being engaged in competitive football. The rise is the
result of the decline in position of several teams in the top 100, adds
Fred Kaweesi.

Uganda's latest position, at 71 from 83rd,in the rankings released
yesterday should be a surprise as all the country's national sides have
been dormant since the Cranes upstaged Benin 2-1 on October 12.

This month's rankings are Uganda's second best since 1995, when it
occupied 66th place

The rankings also put Uganda in second place in the CECAFA behind Kenya,
placed 68th.

Uganda also dwarfs renowned Africa football nations such as South
Africa, Togo and DR Congo, who are placed 76th, 86th and 91st
respectively. .

Tanzania are 99th on the rakings table.

Uganda's progress could also favour Cranes midfielder David Obua,
currently being linked with a move to the Premiership club Newcastle.

A player intending to join an England club should come from within
FIFA's top 70 nations. Hearts had to rely on the appeals procedure to
sign Obua.

Newcastle manager Joe Kinnear confirmed to the Newcastle Evening News:
"Yes we are monitoring David Obua but then we are also monitoring
several players at the moment."

http://www.newvision.co.ug/D/8/30/665139