[dehai-news] A view from Asmara; Memheer Gebreab has passed away

From: Thomas mountain (thomascmountain@yahoo.com)
Date: Tue Dec 23 2008 - 06:14:32 EST

It is with great sadness that i bring to the dehai families attention the passing of Memheer Gebreab this past Dec. 17.
Gebreab was my best friend in Asmara and we shared many of the same dreams for the future of Eritrea. I knew him for all to short a time. I will be writing a memorial to him after doing some more research on the life of one of Eritrea's finest sons, a great teacher, educational leader and a life long patriot.
A favorite saying of many educators is one doesnt judge a school or especially a teacher by the grade point averages or fancy universities its student attended but rather by the accomplishment of their students in life.
Gebreabs students include the most prominent of Eritreans, amongst them the founders of the modern country of Eritrea, including leading business persons, many cabinet members and President Issias Aferworki.
One could say that the times shaped Gebreab and Gebreab helped shape the times.
Awet n'hafash,
and selam and rain for Eritrea
Thomas C. Mountain