Main Tasks & Responsibilities
- Conduct monitoring meeting to discuss the management and quality of care provided during the previous 24 hours to mothers, new-born and gynecological patients.
- Ensure that relevant guidelines are available and are posted in appropriate places of the maternity unit. For example, guidelines on the management of eclampsia/sever pre-eclampsia, hemorrhage, severe anaemia, sepsis, abortion complications, etc.
- Conduct regular antenatal care and identify mothers who are likely to be at higher risk of complications during labour and delivery.
- Manage referrals without delay and give written feedback to the facility that made the referral.
- Establish a system of monitoring progress of labour, including the use of partograph.
- Ensure readiness in the labour ward for resuscitation of the new-born.
- Ensure that the operation Room (OR) is always ready for emergency, surgery, including the establishment of a core team consisting of anesthetists, OR nurse and lab technical under your leadership.
- Establish/strengthen a postpartum home visiting team and keep a detailed record of the outcome.
- Establish a regular family planning and cervical cancer screening clinic.
- Conduct regular maternal and neonatal death review and complete the death Audit forms.
- Refer all fistula patients to the Fistula Referral Centre in Mendefera hospital.
- Conduct elective gynecological and obstetric surgery.
- Train health workers on clinical management of sexually transmitted diseases and Gender Based Violence (GBV).
- Plan and implement a regular (every two weeks) training activity based on the Eritrean Emergency Obstetrics and New-born Care Curriculum (2nd Edition 2011).
- Provide monthly written report to the Director of Zoba Health Services, with a copy to the Ministry of Health (Reproductive Health Unit).
Duration and Working Schedule
The duration of this work will be initially one year (eleven months); which can be extended upon satisfactory performance.
Place where services are to be delivered:
Zonal Referral Hospitals in Eritrea (in three different areas, thus required three Gynaecologists)
Delivery dates and how work will be delivered:
- Monthly reports both hard copy and electronic
- Final report by end of the contract
Monitoring and progress control:
- Assisting and Caring for Others — Providing personal assistance, medical attention, emotional support, or other personal care to others such as co-workers, customers, or patients.
- Updating and Using Relevant Knowledge — Keeping up-to-date technically and applying new knowledge to your job.
- Making Decisions and Solving Problems — Analyzing information and evaluating results to choose the best solution and solve problems.
- Establishing and Maintaining Interpersonal Relationships — Developing constructive and cooperative working relationships with others, and maintaining them over time.
- Monitor Processes, Materials, or Surroundings — Monitoring and reviewing information from materials, events, or the environment, to detect or assess problems.
- Evaluating Information to Determine Compliance with Standards — Using relevant information and individual judgment to determine whether events or processes comply with laws, regulations, or standards.
- Organizing, Planning, and Prioritizing Work — Developing specific goals and plans to prioritize, organize, and accomplish your work.
- Coaching and Developing Others — Identifying the developmental needs of others and coaching, mentoring, or otherwise helping others to improve their knowledge or skills.
- Communicating with Supervisors, Peers, or Subordinates — Providing information to supervisors, co-workers, and subordinates by telephone, in written form, e-mail, or in person.
- Developing and Building Teams — Encouraging and building mutual trust, respect, and cooperation among team members.
- Training and Teaching Others — Identifying the educational needs of others, developing formal educational or training programs or classes, and teaching or instructing others.
The consultant will work under the direct guidance of the Medical Director of the Hospital and indirectly with the UNFPA Representative and/or the Assistant Representative.
Early September 2019
Qualifications and Experience
Advanced degree in medicine with specialization in gynecology
Knowledge and Experience:
- Five years of progressively responsible professional experience in obstetrics
- Strong analytical and leadership skills.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills in English.
- Proficiency in current office software applications and corporate IT systems.
Inputs / services to be provided by UNFPA or implementing partner:
UNFPA will provide support when required.
Other relevant information:
The proposed Ob/Gyn will be recruited at P3 level.
How to Apply:
Please send your application with a completed P11 form (P11 UN Personal History Form) to: firstname.lastname@example.org, attention: Yodit Ghebrai by 15 August 2019, 5 pm local time.