Date: Thursday, 03 August 2023
A festival and a public gathering have derailed at Järvafältet in Stockholm.
The situation is described as chaotic.
Several private individuals and police officers are said to be injured, according to information.
Chaotic scenes are unfolding right now in Järvafältet, where protests against an Eritrean cultural festival have derailed.
Follow the development here.
At the request of the police, the Swedish Transport Administration has closed the E18 in both directions. It should apply from the Rinkeby interchange towards Enköping, but the Swedish Transport Administration has no information on how long the route is.
- They stop traffic when there are people on the motorway, says Katarina Wolffram, press communicator at the Swedish Transport Administration.
According to witnesses on the scene, a crowd is blocking both lanes.
- There are just a lot of people standing here. They have blocked both lanes but they are not doing anything, says a witness to Aftonbladet.
Several fires have broken out inside the festival area. Including a building, a tent and several cars.
Due to the commotion, there is major traffic disruption on the E18.
There is tumult and chaotic scenes at Järvafältet in northern Stockholm.
During the day, an Eritrean festival has been held in the field and at the same time a public gathering was held nearby.
- We are on site at Eggeby farm and actively work to stop criminal acts and those who have not followed the instructions that were given, says Towe Hägg, press spokesperson at the police.
According to information to Aftonbladet, several private individuals and police officers are injured.
Several fires have broken out in the area and thick smoke is visible from the area.
Stones have been thrown at the police in connection with the violence.
At the moment, the police cannot comment on whether there are any injuries.
- I can't say anything about that, it's a question for the healthcare system, says Towe Hägg.
People are said to be masked with masks and canes. The police have formed a chain to separate people, according to Aftonbladet's reporter on the spot.
Due to the commotion in Järva, there are major traffic disturbances on the E18. Thick fire smoke is visible from the scene and people are nearby and on the road. People are seen stopping cars on the road.
- There is a complete standstill on the road and a police helicopter is hovering above, says a witness to Aftonbladet.