Dehai News

(Independent) Two Eritreans jailed in UK for funding ISIS

Posted by: Semere Asmelash

Date: Monday, 27 April 2020

Isis supporters jailed for sending terrorists £2,700 via man connected to ‘central figures’

Court hears men had wanted to fight for Isis themselves before sending money to support ‘brothers’


Ayub Nurhussein, 29, and Said Mohammed, 30, have been jailed for sending funds to support ISIS fighters in Iraq and Syria. Greater Manchester Police  Ayub Nurhussein, 29, and Said Mohammed, 30, have been jailed for sending funds to support ISIS fighters in Iraq and Syria. Greater Manchester Police

Two Isis supporters have been jailed for sending thousands of pounds to jihadis through a man connected to “central figures” in the terrorist group.

Ayub Nurhussein and Said Mohammed admitted funding terrorism by transferring £2,700 in three instalments between April and July last year.

The Old Bailey heard that they hatched the plan after failing to travel abroad to fight for Isis themselves.

Mohammed’s contact in Iraq, named only as Wassim, urged him to help raise funds from “brothers from abroad” to support Isis after its caliphate collapsed.

Wassim told him: “The situation is bad, my brother. The situation is bad at all levels in Iraq.

“If there are brothers ... that would still give support, tell them this is a time of seriousness and this is a time when the mujahideen really need you.”

Judge Rebecca Poulet QC said Wassim appeared to be associated with “central figures” within Isis, and the money was intended to assist activities to endanger life.

Sentencing Nurhussein and Mohammed on Friday, she said both men “have deeply held radicalised beliefs and that they were, and possibly still are, committed to the cause of the proscribed organisation Islamic State".

“It is quite clear that both men were wholehearted supporters of this terrorist cause and that both wished the funds to go to support the fighters of that organisation,” she added, saying the “most grave and alarming” aspect of Nurhussein’s case was his possession of bomb manuals."

He also shared Isis propaganda videos showing executions and beheadings, and encouraging support for its cause.

Even though a psychologist had found Mohammed to be “easily compliant”, Judge Puolet found he was “committed to the cause of Isis and seeking to widen the group of financial supporters for the organisation at the behest of his contact Wassim”.

Chicken shop delivery worker Nurhussein, 29, admitted funding terrorism, four charges of having terrorist manuals and three of sharing graphic propaganda with his landlord via WhatsApp.

The defendant, of Camberwell, southeast London, was jailed for nine-and-a-half years and will serve a further three-and-a-half years on extended licence.

Mohammed, 30, from Longsight in Manchester, was jailed for five years and three months after pleading guilty to funding terrorism.

The Old Bailey heard that both defendants were Eritrean asylum seekers.

Nurhussein was granted asylum but Mohammed, who came into Britain via a refugee camp in Calais in 2008, was refused leave to remain and lived in the UK illegally.

Nurhussein was previously jailed in 2012 for robbery using an imitation handgun.

Prosecutor Alistair Richardson said the defendants became “deeply radical” and had supported Isis in whatever ways they could.

He told the court: “They wished to travel to Isis territory to join them. From the UK, the two of them, together, offered their support financially.

“They arranged for the provision of, and provided funds for, their mujahideen, or fighter, brothers, who remained in Iraq fighting for that organisation.”

Mr Richardson said Wassim arranged for a go-between in Denmark to enable money to be sent to Isis with “no problems”.

On 20 April 2019, a transaction of £1,300 was made from an account in Manchester to a Western Union bank branch in Copenhagen.

A second transaction of £599 was made by Nurhussein on 5 June to the same bank and on 2 July the process was repeated for a further £800.

Counter-terror police started an investigation in 2018 and arrested the pair in coordinated raids on 16 July last year, where mobile phones and other evidence were seized.

Commander Richard Smith, head of the Metropolitan Police Counter Terrorism Command, said: “The Met works with other police forces and security services to provide a counter terrorism network, both at home and abroad, whose strength and effect is continually felt by those who conspire to commit acts of violence and terror.”

Additional reporting by PA
Eritreafightscovid91

Eritrean Independence Day May 24 2020